I've seen a lot of paintings of Smaug, the great and terrible King Under The Mountain, but Peter Konig's concept (which I can only assume was the official one while he and Guillermo del Toro were attached to the Peter Jackson Hobbit project) is by far the best. He looks crafty and evil, and it's a distinctive look so unlike the generic dragons that there are so many of everywhere - he'd be forever instantly recognizable if he looked like this. Not to mention, the design's in keeping with the aesthetic established by the three Lord of the Rings films already completed :)
As always, click on each image to enlarge... it's well worth it to see this fantastic art in detail!
The "official" one as you call it is not the one that will apear in Peter Jackson's adaption. It's the dragon Tolkien imagined while he wrote his book and this one could really have a generic and usual appearance. But I would really like to see Peter Kong's dragon rage in the movie ;)
ReplyDeleteHi there. Just FYI, I was never attached to GDT's Hobbit. I chatted with him about it but was not able to join due to other commitments. I just did the drawing for fun and I think GDT liked it, but it was never a go unfortunately. Whoever did the zbrush sculpt did a nice job. I like the interpretation. I think he/she got it right. Thanks!
ReplyDelete